Monday, March 21, 2016

Jenny: Work Travel - Chocolates, Laundry and Handshakes

My dad used to bring me the chocolates a hotel would leave on his pillow at night.  That was my impression of “work travel” – candy and someone else making your bed for you every morning.  There were chocolates on my bedside table last night when I checked into my second hotel in two days and the room was certainly plush, but I’ve come to realize work travel is heavier on the work than I once imagined.

My job comes to life on the road.  Back at Towers, it’s all spreadsheets and photocopies and conference calls.  But on campus I get to meet the people behind the resumes.  You become three-dimensional, as opposed to flat stacks of paper.  I get to match a voice from the other end of a phone line with a smile and a handshake in person.  Work travel is not glamorous (there’s a pile of dirty laundry in the backseat of my car right now) but I think it’s worth it for the chance to meet you all in person. 

I’m heading home tonight from my last trip of the season.  I have an empty fridge and that carload of laundry but at least I’ll be making my own bed tomorrow morning.  And trading in those pillow-top chocolates for a leafy green vegetable or two.


Thanks for keeping me company while I’m on the road.  Til next season!

- Jenny