Monday, April 11, 2016

Eva: Thoughts From a Former Campus Hire

It’s hard to believe that this year is my 17 year work anniversary at Capital One.

Wasn’t I just in college yesterday? Didn’t I just attend my Welcome Weekend in Richmond? Unfortunately, the answers are No and No.

My Capital One career has been exciting and wonderful, which is why I am still here after all these years (Side note: I like to joke that I started when I was 8 years old). And what’s been really cool is that I’ve had the opportunities to switch tracks throughout my tenure.

I started off in our old Credit department and realized that I needed to do something with my marketing background. After a year in Credit, I applied for a position in the Brand Marketing department and remained there for several years. Over the next few years, I had the opportunity to continue building my skills through roles in Marketing Operations, Card Partnerships, Affinities, and Human Resources.

I am always excited to see familiar faces when I walk around our West Creek campus and ask about my coworkers’ careers. Many of them have switched departments and teams, and it’s always wonderful when we end up working together again. I love the fact that Capital One has allowed us to explore other opportunities across the company, become successful, and then take those experiences to other areas.

My journey isn’t over yet, and I eagerly await to see where I will end up next. Maybe this time, you’ll be my new coworker. And if so, I hope to see you around in another 17 years (or more!).


-Eva