Monday, April 4, 2016

Jenny: Tech Talking

When I interviewed at Capital One nearly 2 years ago, my interviewers didn’t ask me what languages I spoke.  But here I am, learning to speak a new one.  Each day I pick up a little bit more – a word here, a phrase there, a cool new term or two.  I learn by immersion and also because I have to.  If I don’t learn to speak the language, I’ll get left behind.

I’m learning to speak Technology.

Not power buttons and “help, my screen froze!”  I’m learning about the Cloud and big data and technologies our engineers speak fluently.  Thanks to our Technology Development Program – Capital One’s fastest growing population of college talent – I’m engaged in conversation in their native language daily.  And today I got to see them in action.

As a recruiter of Tech talent out of Ohio State, Michigan and UNC, I had the chance to spend time with some of my candidates at a Welcome Weekend in Richmond.  With offers on the table, these candidates are invited to see us on our home turf before making a decision.  And I get to join them for brownies (err…lunch?)  We talked about cold brewed coffee and the weather in Columbus and spring break plans.  Languages I speak.  I live above a coffee shop in D.C. and I’m smitten with their college town and I, too, was once a college student. 

And then they started tech talking.  Palindromes and cybersecurity and Hadoop.  I nibbled my brownie. 


On my way home from Richmond, I called my dad.  I gushed to him about Capital One’s move to AWS.  What the cloud means for cybersecurity concerns.  And how this is cutting edge, really cool stuff.  I could sense him nodding along, waiting in his car for me to stop my rattling so he could pick up his dry cleaning.  And then my dad chimed in something about the Boy Scouts and building a radio.  I’m not sure he was speaking my language.

- Jenny