Monday, May 2, 2016

Jenny: My First Offer Accept

I was driving down I-95 headed out for vacation after delivering my first employment offers to our summer interns.  I was nervous and walked into each conversation with a scripted delivery of the details of the offer.  But I hadn’t scripted what would come next. 

My phone rang.  An Ohio number.  It had only been a few hours and some miles of driving, but one of my Buckeyes was calling to accept his offer.  He relayed the details of sharing his news with his parents.  “My mom asked me if I’d accepted and I said no, that I needed time to think about it…she asked me what I had to think about!”

I think I babbled something into the phone.  “Ok, sure, I’ll get paperwork drafted up so you can…uh…accept your offer.”  {That’s not really how it works.  And I know now that all I have to do is click a few buttons, trigger an electronic document, and you “sign” away!}  But this was my first set of offers and my first-ever accept!

Fast forward nearly 2 years.  My first accept is now preparing for his second rotation in the Analyst Development Program.  We caught up over lunch and his offer story came up in conversation.  Our work doesn’t overlap.  And we don’t even work in the same building.  But through the power of instant messaging and locally sourced, organic greens, our relationship with our candidates doesn’t have to end at “accept.”


Looking forward to getting to know our new crop of interns this summer!  

- Jenny